WHY IS PORK FORBIDDEN IN ISLAM??
This conversation between Bob and Yunus is a very interesting one. Please read it to the end and see if you are convinced or not!!!!
Bob: Tell me why is it that a Muslim is very particular about the words
Halaal and Haraam; what do they mean?
Yunus: That which is permissible is termed Halaal and that which >I not
permissible is termed Haraam and it is the Quran which draws the
distinction between the two.
Bob: Can you give me an example?
Yunus: Yes, Islam has prohibited blood of any type. You will agree that a
chemical analysis of blood shows that it contains an abundance of uric
acid, a chemical substance which can be injurious to human health.
Bob: You’re right about the toxic nature of uric acid, in the human being
it is excreted as a waste product and in fact we are told that 98% of the
body’s uric acid is extracted from the blood by the kidneys and removed through
Yunus: Now I think that you’ll appreciate the special prescribed method of
animal slaughter in Islam.
Bob: What do you mean?
Yunus: You see, the wielder of the knife, whilst taking the name of the
‘Almighty’, makes an incision through the jugular veins, leaving all
other veins and organs intact.
Bob: I see, this causes the death of the animal by a total loss of blood
from the body, rather than an injury to any vital organ.
Yunus: Yes, were the organs, example the heart, the liver, or the brain
crippled or damaged, the animal could die immediately and its blood would
congeal in its veins and would eventually permeate the flesh. This implies
that the animal flesh would be permeated and contaminated with uric acid
and therefore very poisonous; only today did our
dietitians realize such a thing.
Bob: Again, while on the topic of food; Why do Muslims condemn the eating
of pork or ham or any foods related to pigs or swine.
Yunus: Actually, apart from the Quran prohibiting the consumption of
pork,bacon (pig flesh); in fact the Bible too in Leviticus chapter 11,
verse 8, regarding swine it says, “of their flesh (of the swine another name for
pig) shall you not eat, and of their carcass you shall not touch; they are
unclean to you.” Further, did you know that a pig cannot be slaughtered at
the neck for it does not have a neck; that is according to its natural anatomy.
A Muslim reasons that if the pig was to be slaughtered and fit for human
consumption the Creator would have provided it with a neck.
Nonetheless, all that aside, I am sure you are well informed about the
harmful effects of the consumption of pork, in any form, be it pork chops, ham,
Bob: The medical science finds that there is a risk for various diseases
as the pig is found to be a host for many parasites and potential diseases.
Yunus: Yes, even apart from that, as we talked about uric acid content in
the blood, it is important to note that the pig’s biochemistry excretes only
2% of its total uric acid content, the remaining 98% remains as an integral part
of the body.